Table of Contents
- What is a Laptop External Hard Drive?
- Different types of Laptop External Hard Drive
- What are the advantages?
- Things you need to know before buying
- How to choose the right Laptop External Hard Drive?
- 10. WD 1TB Black My Passport for Mac Portable External Hard Drive
- 09. Toshiba Canvio Connect II 1TB Portable Hard Drive
- 08. Seagate Backup Plus 8TB Desktop with 200GB of Cloud Storage & Mobile Device Backup
- 07. Seagate Expansion 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive
- 06. WD 4TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive
- 05. Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB Portable Hard Drive
- 04. Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB for Mac with 200GB of Cloud Storage & Mobile Device Backup
- 03. Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Portable External with 200GB of Cloud Storage
- 02. Transcend Military Drop Tested 1 TB USB 3.0 M3 External Hard Drive
- 01. WD 1TB Black My Passport Ultra Portable External Hard Drive
What is a Laptop External Hard Drive?
The laptop external hard drive is basically a storage device. Your laptop has an inbuilt hard drive which stores just about every information your laptop has. Right from the different programs, software as well as files and documents that you may save on the laptop. Sometimes this internal storage is not enough or you just need to backup the data on your laptop, that is when an external hard drive comes in, it provides extra storage or backup storage for your laptop.
Different types of Laptop External Hard Drive
There are 2 types of external hard drives for laptops. There is the Solid State Drive known as SSD and there is the Hard Disk Drive known as HDD. The difference between the two is in the way they store data.
SSD: These are very fast external hard drives that will store data on chips. SSDs, however, are more expensive because of their capabilities.
HDD: These store data on a spinning plate more like disc player. They are much cheaper though not as fast as SSD.
What are the advantages?
- There are a number of advantages of using external hard drives some of the most important advantages are.
- They can store much more data, you can get one with 1000GB or even larger to store video files
- They are portable so you can carry around much more without the weight of a laptop in your bag
- It is always wise to backup information and they provide large storage for backup
- External hard drives especially the best ones, are very fast when you are transferring information.
Things you need to know before buying
Here are some of the fact you may need to establish before you commit to buying an external hard drive:
- What storage capacity you need
- The transfer speed of the drive in comparison with what you would like to use it for.
- The type of connection needed (USB, Firewire or wireless)
- Is it a trusted brand that makes dependable gadgets?
- Is it compatible with your computer? For example, a MacBook may not work with just any external hard drive.
How to choose the right Laptop External Hard Drive?
It may be simplest to shop online for an external hard drive. Amazon, for example, makes it easier to make a choice. Start by searching for external hard drives for laptops and from the search results, you can read user reviews as well as specifications of the different hard drives on offer.
10. WD 1TB Black My Passport for Mac Portable External Hard Drive
This external hard drive has been formatted specifically for Mar operating system but you can reformat it to use on windows. It will give you 1TB of storage space. You can add 256-bit hardware encryption to increase the security which is actually already very good.
It is quite stylish and portable too so it will fit in the palm of your hands and you will feel confident carrying it around. With USB 3.0, you are assured of fast transfer speeds. You will definitely appreciate this My Passport portable external hard drive.
09. Toshiba Canvio Connect II 1TB Portable Hard Drive
It is very easy to setup and use, thanks to the intuitive user interface. Use it to store data across PC or Mac with no need for reformatting. You can access and share content from anywhere using the internet. Download PogoPlug PC software and it will be easy to upload and download from any device. Use it to backup and restore files and folders or even use the Cloud enabled option for backup. And to ensure the safety of your backed up files, you can install a password. This hard drive is pocket size so you can carry it around easily in your pocket.
08. Seagate Backup Plus 8TB Desktop with 200GB of Cloud Storage & Mobile Device Backup
Get up to 8TB storage along with extra 200GB free storage on the OneDrive cloud storage for 2 years when you register a new Backup Plus drive valued at $95US. You just have to register the drive on Seagate.com to receive the link for the extra storage. You can also use an App to backup photos and video automatically from you mobile devices. The USB 3.0 connectivity gives you quick transfer speeds. With this much storage capability, you can store a lifetime of memories and important information and it will be safe.
07. Seagate Expansion 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive
On top of the 5TB you get, there is the possibility of adding storage space for more files. Setting up is very easy, simply plug in the power supply and USB and it will be ready for you to use. Backup information on your laptop and carry your information anywhere you please with ease. Enjoy fast transfer speeds using the USB 3.0 port and it is also compatible with 2.0. it is formatted for windows so to use it on Mac, you will have to reformat it. Note: reformatting will erase all information on the hard drive.
06. WD 4TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive
Enjoy up to 8TB of storage as well as simple installation and use. The WD backup software works in the background to backup your information while you use your laptop so there is really very little work for you to do as far as backing up information in concern. Just set up a backup schedule so that files are updated automatically whenever you make changes to them. You can also choose to save your files on Dropbox. You also will enjoy privacy thanks to encrypted password protection.
05. Toshiba Canvio Basics 1TB Portable Hard Drive
Trust this hard drive to take care of itself even if you accidentally drop it. The Toshiba Canvio is made with an internal shock sensor to protect it in case of an accidental drop. It has 5400 RPM speed which will guarantee you fast transfer rate you can download up to 5GB in about 12 minutes. This is a very reliable external drive for anyone on the go, it is easy to carry around and you just plug and play without any problem of installing software. It is compact and smudge resistant.
04. Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB for Mac with 200GB of Cloud Storage & Mobile Device Backup
It comes with 1TB of storage but you also get access to 200GB of cloud storage for free for 2 years. This is really a lot of storage space. Backup information on your laptop and carry your information anywhere you please with ease. Enjoy fast transfer speeds using the USB 3.0 port and it is also compatible with 2.0. It is formatted for Mac. It is possible to customize your backup plan using the software provided.
03. Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Portable External with 200GB of Cloud Storage
It offers you mobility but with the performance of a desktop drive. It has 4TB storage which is quite a lot of space to store whatever videos, audios and pictures you may want including important documents. It has high-speed USB 3.0 as well as 2.0 connectivity and it is very easy to use on the go. It is possible to use this interchangeably between Mac and Windows if you install the NTFS driver for Mac. Seagate also offers 200GB extra storage on the cloud when you register your device.
02. Transcend Military Drop Tested 1 TB USB 3.0 M3 External Hard Drive
With 3 layer shock protection, this is one of the strongest shock-resistant external hard drives that can withstand military drop test. It also has 1TB storage space, enough to provide you with sufficient backup storage. It has impressive transfer speeds supported by 5GB bandwidth. The one touch backup button is very convenient and saves you time. You can also install the data management tool for added convenience.
01. WD 1TB Black My Passport Ultra Portable External Hard Drive
Secure and dependable, My Passport Ultra can be trusted to safeguard your private files. Set an optional password, that only you know, to activate 256-bit hardware encryption to add an extra layer of security. Combined with WD Backup, our most powerful backup software yet, it’s easier than ever to have a backup plan that fits your life.
It is advisable that you consider the amount of storage you need when you are choosing a laptop external hard drive for Mac or PC. It does not have to be the exact amount of storage space you need but it should be able to provide what you need and a bit more.
For all the external drives on this top 10 best laptop external hard drives for Mac or PC in 2018 review, they will serve the 3 purposes that external drives are meant for: providing additional storage, backup files and sharing information between computers. Though some may only work on Macs or PC and formatting may be needed to change that.