Toys for toddlers provide opportunities for imaginative play, learning, and help develop fine and gross motor skills. Playing with toys also encourages independence and creativity. When picking the perfect toddler toys look for the following features:
- Versatility: select toys that allow your child to use them in many creative ways.
- Years of Use: look for toys that your child can play with and enjoy, even as they grow older.
- Exploration and Problem-Solving: find toys that encourage your child to practice new skills, figure things out on their own, and develop logical thinking.
- Imaginative: discover toys that will encourage your child to use their imagination during pretend play.
- Learning Tools: toys that introduce early reading and math skills.
- Activity: toys that encourage the development of gross motor skills and physical strength.
- Real Life Skills: look for toys that introduce children to real life scenarios and objects.
The following is a list of top ten suggested toys for toddlers that can stimulate your child’s learning and imagination:
10. Rolimate Wooden Educational Preschool Chunky Puzzle Toy
- 10. Rolimate Wooden Educational Preschool Chunky Puzzle Toy
- 9. Skoolzy Peg Board Set
- 8. Melissa & Doug Shape Sorting Cube
- 7. VTech Musical Rhymes Book
- 6. VTech Little Apps Tablet (Best Seller)
- 5. VTech Drop and Go Dump Truck (Best Seller)
- 4. VTech Busy Learners Activity (Best Seller)
- 3. VTech Rhyme and Discover Book (Best Seller)
- 2. Melissa & Doug Deluxe Pounding Bench Wooden Toy With Mallet (Best Seller)
- 1. Mega Bloks 80-Piece Big Building Bag (Best Seller)
This wooden pegged board comes with 16 colored shapes for children to fit onto various pegs. This geometric toy encourages toddlers to name the shapes, match colors, and count each of the puzzle pieces.
- Perfect for travel.
- Keeps kids entertained.
- Learning tool for colors, fine motor skills, and matching.
- Undersized pieces pose potential choking hazard.
- Product is much smaller than expected.
- Some buyers complain of loose pegs.
9. Skoolzy Peg Board Set
This toy comes with 30 pegs and a foam peg board. The pegs come in six colors, making it a great matching and color recognition tool for toddlers. Product includes a downloadable parent activity guide and a drawstring bag to store the pieces.
- Great activity for travel.
- Keeps children entertained for hours.
- Chunky pegs are perfect for little hands.
- Versatility of toy encourages kids of all ages to play.
- Encourages counting, sorting, building, matching, and creating patterns.
- Pegs may be sharp.
- Peg board is not sturdy material for toddler wear and tear.
- Pegs may be difficult to place in the foam board.
Other Topic: Top 15 Best Baby Walkers 2018 Reviews
8. Melissa & Doug Shape Sorting Cube
This classic wooden toy comes with 12 shapes to fit through the same-shaped holes. The shapes are brightly colored and are easy for little hands to hold and place through the cut-outs. The product includes an illustrated guide with the names of the shapes.
- Sturdy wooden construction for a long-lasting and play-resistant toy.
- Encourages shape and color recognition.
- Paint on blocks may chip.
- Loose lid on box easily slides off.
- Easy to lose pieces.
- Box may have sharp edges.
7. VTech Musical Rhymes Book
This interactive toddler book comes with six classic nursery rhymes, over forty songs, melodies, and sounds, and includes colorful lights. The book has five colorful piano buttons that play music and introduce toddlers to instruments and colors. This toy comes with two modes of play: learning mode that teaches age-appropriate vocabulary and music mode that teaches instrument sounds and play various melodies.
- Various interactive features entertain child for an extended period of time.
- Includes volume control making it perfect for at home play and traveling.
- Sturdy construction withstands rough toddler play.
- Music doesn’t always match with the words on the page.
- Some buyers complain of volume being too low.
- Limited content may bore children over time.
6. VTech Little Apps Tablet (Best Seller)
This toddler tablet includes a color changing screen, numbers piano, letter keyboard, and various other electronic buttons such as a calendar and a pretend camera. This toy features “Cody the Smart Cub”, an interactive bear that teaches the basics of counting, matching, math, reading, and letters. It also has a selection of interactive games.
- Parent-friendly volume control and automatic shut-off feature.
- Great learning toy for a variety of early reading and math skills.
- Sturdy and easy-to-push and buttons.
- No brightness adjustment- can be difficult to see the screen in certain lighting.
- Small screen size.
5. VTech Drop and Go Dump Truck (Best Seller)
This colorful dump truck comes with three different colored “rocks”. It includes three buttons that play music, phrases, names of tools, and names of colors. The bucket of the truck is hinged and lifts to dump out the “rocks” placed inside through a hole. This toy is also equipped with a push/pull string.
- Sturdy construction makes this a durable toy for rough play.
- Sounds are pleasant.
- “Rocks” work with multiple other vetch toys.
- Fun for both girls and boys.
- “Rocks” may be hard to place through the hole on the bucket.
- String for pulling may be a safety concern.
- Stickers on truck peel over time.
4. VTech Busy Learners Activity (Best Seller)
This toy is a five sided block with four light-up buttons and motion sensors that make noise when played with. In total the block has 14 interactive features including animal sounds, animal names, shapes, instruments, colors, and music. It has spinning and sliding parts to encourage fine motor skills. It also plays 25 different melodies, keeping toddlers engaged and interested. It includes adjustable volume, and an automatic shut-off feature.
- Introduces animal names and sounds, instrument names and sounds, colors, and shapes.
- Is entertaining and holds toddlers attention.
- Many have reported songs getting stuck and repeating themselves until you restart the toy.
- Stickers peel over time
- More entertaining for younger babies; may not be interesting for ages 3+.
3. VTech Rhyme and Discover Book (Best Seller)
This musical learning book includes six colorful pages with seven nursery rhymes. There are three light-up buttons shaped like little characters and four movable interactive pieces It also plays over 20 different sounds including music, phrases, and sounds.
- Plastic pages and buttons can be easily wiped down.
- Encourages interactive learning.
- Easy to turn pages.
- Perfect size for travel.
- Volume Control
- Only half of the lyrics of many of the songs are played.
- Over time, lights and words may get stuck until the toy is restarted.
2. Melissa & Doug Deluxe Pounding Bench Wooden Toy With Mallet (Best Seller)
This is a simple wooden pounding toy with colorful painted peek-a-boo pegs. The bench includes a wooden hammer. The pegs are non-removable and go up and down, displaying happy smiling faces.
- Helps children to develop fine-motor skills and hand-eye coordination as they practice hitting the peg.
- Toy encourages children to learn cause-and-effect.
- Sturdy construction makes this a long-lasting toy.
- Hammer can become dangerous when used to hit other household items or playmates.
- Pegs are easy to push down and may not entertain an older toddler
1. Mega Bloks 80-Piece Big Building Bag (Best Seller)
These chunky and colorful blocks come in various shapes and are built with oversized prongs making them easy to stack, assemble, and take apart. These blocks are usable with any Mega Block brand sets. This set includes a storage bag.
- Oversized blocks are perfect for tiny hands.
- Simple design allows for creativity and imaginative play.
- Helps develop fine motor skills.
- Blocks may not be tight enough and can come apart too easily while building.