Shaving is a very demanding task and sometimes results into discomfort. The latter is especially true among people with sensitive skin. Shaving can causes itchy and painful rushes on their neck and facial region. But shaving soaps take care of all these problems. A shaving soap is a hard or soft soap lathered with water and applied using a shaving brush on the face. This helps in lubricating and protecting your skin while shaving.
The combination of a shaving soap, brush and a sharp razor provides a smooth and clean shave. Shaving soaps offer more lubrication compared to foams, gels and creams. They also help in removing oil from your facial hair thus allowing water to penetrate into your whiskers. This makes them easier to cut while saving time especially in the morning. Shaving soaps can be carried while traveling since they are permitted by TSA. They are also environmentally friendly compared to their peers like gels.
Things To Look For
- Things To Look For
- 15. Gentleman Jon Sandalwood Shave Soap
- 14. Williams Mug Shaving Soap
- 13. Barrister and Mann Tallow Shaving Soap
- 12. Maurer & Wirtz Tabac Original Men Shaving Soap
- 11.Taylor Of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Soap
- 10. Ven Der Hagens Men’s Luxury Scented Soap
- 9. Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap
- 8. Sir Hare Men’s Shaving Soap
- 7. WSP Rustic Shaving Soap
- 6. The Blades Grim Gold Luxury Shaving Soap
- 5. Men’s Soap Company
- 4. Proraso Shaving Soap
- 3. Proraso Shaving Soap
- 2. Taylor Of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream
- 1. Hendry Cavendish Himalaya Shaving Soap
Choose a shaving soap with high amounts of fat and glycerin derived from vegetables and tallow. These ingredients helps in keeping you follicles and skin moist while shaving. Fat content determines the extent of lubrication during the shaving process. Look for soaps with natural ingredients like coconut acid and jojoba oil which are great for skin care. Avoid artificial colorants, alcohol, synthetic fragrances and petro-chemical bye-products since they cause irritation and clogging of pores.
Look for a shaving soap which is triple milled because it provides more lather and delivers a creamy foam which leaves your skin smooth. When it comes to lathering consider the wet shaving setup and hardness of water. Another important aspect of a shaving cream is the scent. Look for soaps which use essential oils or any natural ingredients as natural fragrance.
There are two types of shaving soaps namely hard and soft. Hard shaving soap has been around for a while now. It was traditionally made of tallow. Most of them use sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide. Soft soaps have a consistent application due to their alkali balance. You can load them easier on your shaving brush or transfer them to another bowl. There are many brands in the market today but few offer the desired quality. Below are some of the best shaving soaps in the market today.
15. Gentleman Jon Sandalwood Shave Soap
Gentleman Jon is a natural shaving soap made of glycerine. This soap leaves your skin smooth and clean after shaving. It is made of sandalwood scent which is cool and refreshing. Gentleman Joh is big enough to last a month even with frequent shaving. The glycerine content provides a rich and healthier lather. This makes the overall shaving experience seamless and comfortable. It is a soap puck meaning a bowl is needed. Hot water is more effective when you need more lather. It is offered at a great price when compared to its features.
- Smells great, lathes easily, lasts longer, provides enough lubrication, affordable
- Scent disappears when soap reaches halfway, protection is not that exceptional
- Top 10 Shaving Brush Stands 2018 Reviews
- Top 10 Electric Razors for Women 2018 Reviews
- Top 10 Post Shave Balms 2018 Reviews
- Top 10 Shaving Soap Bowls 2018 Reviews
- Top 15 Best Women Shaving Creams 2018 Reviews
14. Williams Mug Shaving Soap
This 10.5 ounce soap provides a long lasting lather which makes your shaving easier. Oil lubrication leaves you skin smooth and soft instead of the soap drying on your skin. The main ingredients are glycerine, natural fragrance, stearic acid and water. It produces a creamy latter when whipped with warm water. You can choose to submerse the mug in a hot water. A five minute pre-sock produces a very thick and creamy lather. This shaving soap also ensures your blades stay sharp for a longer period. It is fairly priced and last longer. The fragrance is also well-balanced compared to most brands out there.
- Produces a thick and creamy lather, clean shave, fair price, well-balanced fragrance,
- Makes big air bubbles which dissipate faster on the face, not great on thick whiskers
13. Barrister and Mann Tallow Shaving Soap
Barrister and Mann is an exceptional tallow based soap with complex fragrances. It is very friendly since it eliminates irritations on a sensitive skin. This hot process soap lathers easily when placed in the accompanying 4 inch diameter tub. It is made of coconut butter, glycerin, shea butter and lanolin which are great for producing a moisturized shave. A combination of lavender, lemon, patchouli, rosemary and oak moss produces a fresh aroma. This 4 oz shaving soap provides the classic barbershop scent. Each batch of fragrance is hand mixed to ensure quality. It requires a small amount of water to lather.
- Requires little amount of water, great scent, great moisturizing effects, requires small amounts of water
- Scent fades with time, not great on sensitive skin
12. Maurer & Wirtz Tabac Original Men Shaving Soap
Tabac Original is a 4.4 ounces soap has a men’s fragrance which is blended from lavender, warm florals and citrus. It lathers easily even in hard water. This puck of soap is wrapped using a foil and placed in a card box. It produces a very thick lather after its whipped with water. Its an affordable soap suitable for all wet shavers. The lather is very aqueous and its thickness is very consistent. It is very effective in keeping your skin from drying out. This creamy soap allows you to achieve a close shave without experiencing any irritations.
- Not enough scent, long lasting scent, produces a thick lather, affordable, great moisturizer
- Does not come with a bowl, slickness concerns, scent is too strong at initial stages, doesn’t fit in standard shaving mugs
11.Taylor Of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Soap
This is a high quality British shaving soap used with a shaving brush. Ingredients include Glycerin, Sodium Palmate and Lemonene among others. A wooden bowl is provided where you can place you lathed soap. This durable bowl resistant to breakage and fading. The soap itself comes in a beautiful plastic jar. This is long lasting soap even for people who shave five times in a week. It is very protective when applied on the neck and face regions. Taylor of Old lathers faster and spreads easily on the skin. It is made of a very royal scent with a cool and refreshing sensation. This soap washes off clean and very compatible with aftershave.
- Smells great, durable bowl, lasts long, offers protection, washes of easily
- Zero sleekness, scent not strong enough
10. Ven Der Hagens Men’s Luxury Scented Soap
Ven Der Hagens is a 3.5 ounce soap with over 10 percent glycerin. This helps in moisturizing your follicles and skin thus making the shaving process much easier. A soft beard ensures your blade glides over smoothly. Other main ingredients are propylene glycol, sorbitol and water. The fragrance of this soap is closely related to cologne meaning it smells very good. It fits perfectly inside the Van Der Hagen shave set mug. This soap lathers easily and lasts longer while shaving everyday. It is offered at a very reasonable price plus it’s readily available in drug stores. The packaging is very attractive which makes it appealing to people who prefer luxury.
- Light and refreshing scent, lathers easily, very sleek and smooth,
- Dries off easily, scent fades away easily
9. Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap
Hagen Deluxe comes in 2.5 ounce boxes with a pack of 12. This hypo-allergenic soap contains 40 percent moisturizers including shea butter, aloe vera. These help to soften even the toughest follicles while keeping your skin hydrated. It does not cause any breakouts even with frequent shaving. Hagen works perfectly with the luxury set and lathers up quickly. It leaves you face with a good feeling after each shave. You don’t need to whip is repeatably since it sits for a while. It can be washed away with little water and does not dry off while on your skin.
- Easy to clean off, no allergies, great moisturizer, easy to use, affordable
- Mild scent, no exceptional lubricating features
8. Sir Hare Men’s Shaving Soap
Sir Hare series produces one of the best shaving soaps. This 4 ounces shaving soap is made of tallow oils which provide a thick lather which lubricates your blade thus ensuring smooth and comfortable shave. This soap comes in an 8 ounce container which eliminates the need for a shaving bowl. It lasts longer, offering at least 100 shaves. The labeling is water proof which preserves the look of your bottle. It is made from natural ingredients which are great for sensitive skins. Natural fragrances provide the traditional barbershop scent blended from bergamont, cedarwood and oakmoss.
- Great lubrication, no need for a shaving bowl, waterproof packaging, lasts longer, great for sensitive skins, great scent
- Granular lather, expensive
7. WSP Rustic Shaving Soap
This 4.4 Oz is made using only 6 vegan and natural ingredients. It produces a creamy lathe which makes the shaving process much easier and protects your skin. Production is based on crude tobacco and bay leaf which create an intoxicating blend. This soaps allows you to make a nice close shave with a lather that forms easily. The lubrication, razor glide and smell are amazing. Its tin has a wide mouth which makes it easy to load and store. Other ingredients are stearic acid, glycerine, coconut oil and fragrance. There is no water filler thus making the whole formula concentrated to last longer.
- Concentrated formula, easy to load, good smell, lather forms easily, uses hypo-allergic ingredients, concentrated formula
- Hard to extract from the can, slight tingling sensation
6. The Blades Grim Gold Luxury Shaving Soap
Blades Grim Gold is a 4 Oz luxury soap with a smoulder scent packed in a gold tin. Grim Gold creates a smooth and thick latter within a few seconds. The moisturizing and lubrication effect provides a perfect glide to your razor and also protects your skin. The main ingredients are glycerine, coconut oil, fragrance and stearic acid. It has a nice and clean scent with hints of vanilla, citrus and cavendar. This soap offers great consistency like cold butter.
- Great scent, lathes easily, enough sleekness, very consistent, smells great
- Too much water
5. Men’s Soap Company
It is made with natural gradients which are rich of lather. Men’s Soap Company ensures smooth and clean shave. It is made of natural and quality ingredients which provide a great scent and shaving performance. The subtle Himalayan scent is super fresh. Main ingredients are coconut oil and shea butter which serve to moisturize and protect your skin. This 3.5 Oz shaving soap puck is designed for all types of skin. It keep razor burns and irritations away even with daily shaving. A thick lather allows your blade to glide easily. This shaving soap lasts longer than shaving creams. It forms a thick lather within a few seconds thus saving more time.
- No toxic ingredients, smooth and clean results, delightful scent, forms lather easily, great moisturizer
- Scent fades away easily, does not fit standard shaving mugs
4. Proraso Shaving Soap
Proraso is a 5.2 OZ shaving soap which comes with an attractive bowl. This soap is formulated specifically for sensitive skin by providing a creamy lather which prepares your skin for a close and clean shave. Ingredients like green tea and oatmeal prevent razor burns and inflammation for a sensitive skin. It also has a fresh scent with hints of apple and lime. This soap has been around for many years and all natural formulations have been maintained. These include botanical extracts and oils which nourish and protect your skin accordingly. There are no artificial colors, parabens, silicons or mineral oils.
- Great for sensitive skin, uses all natural ingredients, smells nice, nourishes your skin, lathers easily
- Inconsistent lathery, too much soap scum
3. Proraso Shaving Soap
This 5.2 Oz Proraso is more refreshing and provides better toning. It provides a rich and creamy lathe which prevents your skin from cuts and irritation. The eucalyptus and menthol composition creates a relaxing and cooling sensation. It is manufactured using a special process where the manufacturer provides enough time for maturity. This soap is more solid and concentrated which makes it last longer and compatible with brushes. It makes use of natural ingredients free from mineral oils and artificial colors. Ingredients are 95 percent natural and of no animal origin.
- Affordable, offers skin protection, concentrated, very natural
- Unpleasant smell, sticks on razor
2. Taylor Of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream
5.3 Oz Taylor Of Old Bond Street offers one of the great shaving experiences. It allows you to apply a creamy lathe to your face when preparing to make a clean shave. A scent which depicts a lavender, sandalwood and cedar blend leaves you smelling fresh. It comes with a lather bowl which makes shaving much easier. It has great moisturizing features which allow your blade to glide easily.
- Nice container, smells good, provides a smooth shave, lathers easily,
- Inconsistent lather, mild irritations
1. Hendry Cavendish Himalaya Shaving Soap
This is easily the top shaving soap in the market to day with its long lasting capabilities and unique combination of ingredients. It is a 3.8 Oz pack refill soap made with a nice smelling Himalayan fragrance. It is made of natural ingredients which provide a smooth and comfortable shave. Hendry Cavendish creates a thick and uniform lather which lubricates you razor for a sleek shave. It is super concentrated allowing it to last longer. This shaving soap leaves your skin moisturized as opposed to other soaps, creams and gels which leave your skin oily.
- Lasts long, smells nice, protects your skin, great moisturizer, natural ingredients, economical, easy to apply
- A bit expensive for its size
Shaving can be a very overwhelming task that’s why you need a quality soap. A shaving soap is lathered in water, preferably hot in order to form a lather which acts as a lubricant while shaving. Unlike creams and gels, shaving soaps prevent skin irritation and last much longer. There are hard and soft soaps whose variation is brought about by ingredients used and response to hard and soft water. Before buying a shaving soap consider the ingredients and method used to manufacture the selected soap. Triple milled soaps with high natural fat content provide a better shaving experience. Consider the type of fragrance and available water.
You won’t go wrong with the above mentioned soaps especially Hendry Cavendish Himalaya. These soaps are made using natural ingredients, last longer, lather easily, provide a clean shave and smell nice. There are few downsides on an individual level like inconsistency, mild irritations, mild scent, scum, reduced sleekness and high prices. Otherwise, the overall features and performance of these shaving soaps makes them one of the best in the market today.